Have ADHD? You're More Creative Than The Average Bear

Image result for thinking outside the box
Source:  philmckinney.com



Thinking outside the box:
Adults with ADHD not constrained in creativity

People often believe those with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder face challenges that could hinder future employment, but a new study found that adults with ADHD feel empowered doing creative tasks that could help them on the job.

The tendency of individuals with ADHD -- a mental disorder commonly diagnosed at childhood -- to resist conformity and ignore typical information may be an asset in fields that value innovative and nontraditional approaches, such as marketing, product design, technology and computer engineering, said study author Holly White, a researcher in the U-M Department of Psychology.

White studied a group of college students with and without ADHD who were compared on lab tasks of creativity. The imagination task allowed a person to invent a new example of a common category that is different from existing examples. In the "alien fruit" invention task, a person must create an example of a fictional fruit that might exist on another planet but is different from a fruit known to exist on Earth.

In doing this task, non-ADHD participants often modeled their creations after specific common fruits -- such as an apple or strawberry. Those creations were less innovative, White said.

In this study, participants with ADHD created "alien fruits" that differed more from typical Earth fruit, and were more original, compared to non-ADHD participants.

The second task required participants to invent labels for new products in three categories without copying the examples provided. The ADHD group created labels that were more unique and less similar to the examples provided, compared to the non-ADHD group.

White said the results suggest that individuals with ADHD may be more flexible in tasks that require creating something new, and less likely to rely on examples and previous knowledge.

  • "As a result, the creative products of individuals with ADHD may be more innovative, relative to creations of non-ADHD peers," she said.
  • Individuals with ADHD may be less prone to design fixation, which is the tendency to get stuck in a rut or stick closely to what already exists when creating a new product, White said.

"This has implications for creative design and problem solving in the real world, when the goal is to create or invent something new without being overly constrained by old models or ways of doing things," she said.

Story Source:  Materials provided by University of Michigan.  Holly A. White. Thinking “Outside the Box”: Unconstrained Creative Generation in Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. The Journal of Creative Behavior, 2018

Comments

  1. We just learned that my middle daughter has ADHD, she’s a Freshman in High School. Writing papers is a constant struggle. So lucky to have discovered the “INK for All” content tool. It's developed to be distraction free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him: +2347012841542 

      Delete
  2. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor called dr. kham who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2017, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was on the river side thinking where I can go to get a solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished .if you need help, you can also email him at: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com cure He also have a herbal cure for different diseases like HIV/AIDS, HERPES, FIBROID, DIABETES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, CANCER HEPATITIS A,B,C AND LOT MORE , i will like you all to help me thank Dr. Kham for saving my life, so i make up my mind to testify about his good work, i have never see a good man like this before, Kindly Visit his Website: https://drkhamherbalhealingcenter.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address; dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete

  4. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this informative post. Looking forward to read more.
    Attention Deficit Disorders Hypnosis in Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Workout supplements: An emerging eating disorder in men?

Remember faces but not names? You got it wrong.

Using Artificial Intelligence to Predict Violence. . . or to Control It?

War Leaves 17 Women for Every Man

M.I.T. Research Explains How Will Rogers Observation Works